General Information about Lake Como
To help make your holiday as smooth as possible, we’ve outlined some general information that may be helpful to you when planning your next getaway to Lake Como.
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Local Time: Ireland/UK Time +1 hour
- Passport: A valid passport is required for this holiday. EU citizens do not need a visa, however non-EU citizens should check requirements.
- Airport: Lake Como is serviced by Milan Malpensa and Milan Linate airports. Milan is approximately 80km (50 miles) southwest of the town of Tremezzo on Lake Como. Menaggio is a further 15 minutes north. Journey time is approx. 1 hour 20/35 minutes to your hotel.
- Climate: The Italian Lake region is renowned for its pleasant and mild Mediterranean climate throughout the year. Just as the sea would, the Lake has a moderating influence on the climate. A pleasant breeze blows from the lake during the hot and sunny summer months and during the winter months, despite the altitude, the temperature is kept above freezing, limiting snow and frost to the higher Alpine areas.
Food & Drink
Northern Italian cuisine tends to be hearty, with butter more commonly used than the olive oil and tomatoes favoured in the south. You’ll find delicious cheeses (Gorgonzola, Taleggio) and air dried salted beef (Bresaola) on most restaurant menus. Specialities include the unctuous Risotto alla Milanese, flavoured with saffron, and Osso Buco, a rich and tasty dish of veal shanks braised in wine. For a refreshing aperitif, try a sparkling wine from Franciacorta and with meats, a glass of Barolo, made from the Nebbiolo grape and one of the great wines of Northern Italy.
- The Devil in Music by Kate Ross
- The Man in the Green Hat by Mannings Cole
- On Her Majesty’s Secret Service by Ian Fleming